PADI Search & Recovery Diver
Losing something at home is annoying, whether it's your car keys or wallet! Losing something whilst diving, well, that's a whole new ball game. If you've ever lost something in the water and wanted to go find it, then the PADI Search & Recovery Diver Specialty course is for you. The course will teach you the skills to search and locate lost objects underwater and then how to bring them to the surface safely.
Your instructor will help you become comfortable with a number of search patterns suitable for searching in different visibilities, situations, and conditions, teach you how to effectively rig a lift bag and bring your found objects to the surface in a safe and controlled manner. The fun part of this course is learning new, detailed and specific techniques and how to react in various different search and recovery scenarios.
What will I do?
Gathering information and resources, then carefully planning a search are the first important steps you learn.
During four dives you'll practice:
- Swimming search patterns using your compass and natural navigation.
- Locating large and small objects using various search patterns.
- Using a lift bag for large or heavy objects, plus other recovery methods.
- Planning a search operation based on facts gathered about a lost object prior to the dive.
- How to tie at least three different knots underwater
- Limited visibility search techniques
The first dive of this PADI Specialty Diver course may credit as an Adventure Dive toward your Advanced Open Water Diver certification. Ask your instructor about earning credit
What scuba gear will I use?
Besides your basic scuba equipment, you'll need a compass and underwater slate. Your PADI Instructor may suggest other gear that may help with your searches. This may include a dive light, marker buoys, lines and reels.
What are the prerequisites for this course?
PADI (Junior) Advanced Open Water Divers who are at least 12 years old can enrol in the Search and Recover Diver course. PADI (Junior) Open Water Divers with a PADI Underwater Navigator certification also qualify.
You will also be required to complete:
Please ensure you are fit to dive by checking these forms.
If you answer YES to any of the questions on the PADI Medical Statement, you will need to get a medical physician to sign the form to confirm fitness to dive prior to any in-water activities.
Please note: you will not be able to take part in any pool or open water sessions without confirming your fitness to dive.
What are the course options?
- Full course: This option is for the full PADI Search & Recovery Diver course, including eLearning and open water dives.
- Upgrade from eLearning: This option includes the open water dives only. Please only choose this option if you have already purchased the eLearning part of this course.
To check out our full selection of PADI specialties, click here!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.