PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor
If you like people, have a passion for scuba diving and want an extraordinary life, then become a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor. Teaching scuba diving allows you to share your love of the aquatic world with others while doing what you enjoy - being in, around and under water.
PADI Open Water Scuba Instructors and PADI Assistant Instructors are the most sought-after dive professionals around the world. This is because they've completed the program that sets the standard for training dive professionals. You earn a PADI Instructor rating through hard work and commitment, but you're rewarded with a job that lets you share incredible underwater adventures with others, transforming their lives for the better and enriching yours.
The Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) program is one of two distinct components of PADI's Instructor Development Course (IDC) - the core of PADI Instructor training. The first portion is the Assistant Instructor course, followed by the Open Water Scuba Instructor program.
The OWSI program is a minimum of four days. It introduces you to the entire PADI System of diver education and concentrates on further developing your abilities as a professional dive educator.
The fun part of instructor training is interacting with course participants while creating friendships that continue long after the course concludes.
You'll begin networking with other professionals and begin to explore PADI Pro Diving Jobs worldwide. You'll also have the opportunity to continue your professional education by participating in specialty instructor courses, which train you to teach specialties after instructor certification.
The challenging part of this course is your personal commitment to the training. The course requires you to complete all the self-study Knowledge Reviews before the course begins and to prepare daily assignments for teaching presentations daily. Organisation and dedication are key.
What will I do?
Over a minimum of five days, but usually more like seven, the IDC teaches you to conduct all PADI core courses. You'll be able to organise and present information, conduct skill development sessions and control open water dives. Basically, you become a better public speaker and get really good at demonstrating skills while watching out for student diver safety.
Key topics include:
- PADI Standards and Procedures for courses you can teach with in water workshops
- Learning, Instruction and the PADI System
- Risk Management and Diver Safety
- The Business of Diving and your role as an instructor
- Marketing Diving and Sales Counselling
During the course you'll learn how to apply the PADI System of Education by presenting at least:
- Two confined water teaching presentations
- Two knowledge development presentations
- One open water teaching presentations integrating two skills
You will also attend and participate in the following curriculum presentations:
- Course Orientation
- Dive Industry Overview
- General Standards and Procedures
- The Role of Media and Prescriptive Teaching
- Legal Responsibility and Risk Management
- PADI Scuba Diver and Open Water Diver Course
- Adaptive Teaching
- The PADI Continuing Education Philosophy
- Business Principles for the Dive Instructor
What are the prerequisites for this course?
A PADI Divemaster who has been a certified diver for six months may enroll in the PADI Instructor Development Course. You also need:
- At least 60 logged dives and 100 dives to attend an IE.
- Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care(CPR and First Aid) training within the past 24 months.
- A medical statement signed by a physician within the last 12 months
You also need to be an Emergency First Response Instructor, but you can earn this rating during your instructor training.
Dive professionals who hold an instructor rating with another diver training organisation may be eligible to enrol directly in the PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor program. This recognises prior instructor training and provides a path to become a PADI Instructor.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.