PADI Tec 50
The Tec 50 course completes your training as an entry-level tec diver, taking you past the limits of recreational diving and the third part of the full PADI Tec Deep Diver program. As a Tec 50 diver, you show that you’ve developed competency as a tec diver and have the skills to dive to a maximum of 50 metres/165 feet. You know how to make extended, accelerated decompression stops using up to two gases. It’s not easy to reach this level and earning your Tec 50 certification opens the door to deeper diving expeditions.
What will I do?
The Tec 50 course includes two knowledge development sections, three practical application sessions and four open water dives. A primary focus of this course is mission planning and execution. You also learn more about handling emergencies and how to think like a technical diver.
During the Tec 50 course, you:
• Make actual decompression dives as deep as 50 metres/165 feet
• Use enriched air nitrox and/or oxygen for decompression
• Use desktop decompression software to create custom dive tables and plan your dives
• Qualify to make technical decompression dives independently
What scuba gear will I use?
You’ll use full technical equipment and you may use a technical sidemount configuration, plus two stage/decompression cylinders. Your Tec Deep Instructor may also introduce you to using trimix on the last Open Water dive.
What are the prerequisites for this course?
To enrol in the Tec 50 course, you must:
• Be a PADI Tec 45 diver
• Have a minimum of 100 logged dives, with at least 20 dives on enriched air nitrox deeper than 18 metres/60 feet and 15 dives deeper than 30 metres/100 feet
• Be at least 18 years old
• Have a Medical Statement signed by a physician within the last 12 monthsNote that qualifying certifications from other diver training organizations may apply – ask your Tec Deep Instructor.
How do I start learning now?
You’ll use the Tec Deep Diver Crew-Pak, which introduces you to:
• Tec diving lingo
• Emergency procedures
• Decompression and stage cylinder handling
• Gas planning
The pack includes a manual, dive planning checklist and dive planning slate. The optional Equipment Set-up and Key Skills video on DVD is a great tool to help you practice at home in between your diving adventures.